Education: 39% of Graduating Students Are Ready for College

graduationPosted by Tina

The number of graduating students prepared for college in reading and math has slipped a couple of percentage points from two years ago, according to the National Assessment of Educational Progress. The number of students graduating high school has risen but their skills haven’t kept pace, a sad indication that education in America isn’t improving much. The WSJ reports:

Only 37% of American 12th-graders were academically prepared for college math and reading in 2015, a slight dip from two years earlier, according to test scores released Wednesday.

The National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as the “Nation’s Report Card,” said that share was down from an estimated 39% in math and 38% in reading in 2013.

Educators and policy makers have long lamented that many seniors get diplomas even though they aren’t ready for college, careers or the military. Those who go to college often burn through financial aid or build debt while taking remedial classes that don’t earn credits toward a degree. …

…At the time of the assessment, 42% of the test-takers said they had been accepted into a four-year college. The test is taken by a representative sample of seniors nationwide.

If educators want to change what’s happenig at the point of graduation in 12th grade they need to see what’s happening in K-4, the critical years when the foundation for reading and writing skills are formed. Other strategies would include getting control of the border and our immigration policy and finally, finally, addressing core problems in poor communitites that include bad schools, destructive dependency programs, break-up in the family and loss of a moral code. Do the American people have the courage to back what would work or will we stick with the politically correct, activism, and the tired old responses of failed Democrat “solutions.”

This entry was posted in Education, Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Education: 39% of Graduating Students Are Ready for College

1. Pie Guevara says:

This is explains why many chose English and “education” majors routes. The dim indoctrinating the dumb is what passes for education these days. Party on, Garth.

2. Dewster says:

and more cuts to education to come in the Ponzi scam of Austerity.

Education $ goes to for profit scams where they run with the money

3. Tina says:

The one note wonder strikes again.

Dewey you rally have no idea where all of these issues came from do you?

4. Jim says:

Why are college students so darn stupid? I’m serious. We see that they don’t follow traffic rules, running stop sighs and causing accidents.
    Now read this article in the student newspaper. This guy is complaining about the cost of rent, restaurant food and bar cover charges. He says: “I, like many college students, do not posses the desire or skill to cook a decent meal. Therefore, eating out is always an appealing option.”
    Seriously???? When I was in college I ate canned soup and peanut butter sandwiches. What he heck is wrong with these kids?
    http://theorion.com/56306/opinion/chico-is-getting-expensive/

5. Jim says:

6. Tina says:

Excellent point Jim…glad you ended up posting it twice due to the software. 😉