Thanks go to Harold for this find…
Here are the 10 worst charities in America from the list compiled by the Center for Investigative Reporting and the Tampa Bay Times, along with the percentage of money raised that went to the supposed cause:
- Kids Wish Network (2.5%)
- Cancer Fund of America (0.9%)
- Children’s Wish Foundation International (10.8%)
- American Breast Cancer Foundation (5.3%)
- Firefighters Charitable Foundation (8.4%)
- Breast Cancer Relief Foundation (2.2%)
- International Union of Police Associations (0.5%)
- National Veterans Service Fund (7.8%)
- American Association of State Troopers (8.6%)
- Children’s Cancer Fund of America (5.3%)
The charities were ranked based on how much money they spent on solicitors. Kids Wish Network paid about $110 million of $128 million raised to fundraisers, the report said.
Groups like these tend to rely on telephone solicitations to collect donations. Some are little more than fronts for the companies that raise the money. Every time a consumer makes a donation to the “charity,” the bulk of it stays with the company that made the pitch.
Here are some tips to avoid donating to for-profit telephone solicitation operation when your intention was to support charity:
- Don’t make a donation on a call from a fundraiser. A legitimate charity will be more than happy to accept a donation on your time frame through a means you feel comfortable with, whether it’s by mailing a check or using a credit card online.
- If you’re interested in a charity, take the time to find out how it plans to spend donated money.
- Research the charity before you donate, using charity evaluation sites including GuideStar, the BBB Wise Giving Alliance and Charity Navigator.
- Use the Internet to see what other people have said about the charity.