This news may not warrant a marching band and waving the State flag, but it’s worthy of at least a modest grin. I’m talking about the latest polling of states with the highest population exodus. Those leaving CA stand at about 54.4% of the total moves. That makes CA ONLY the 11th worst state in the union for people moving out verses those moving in. This is unfortunately a record number, so you can wipe that smile off your face now.
California’s beachy, urban, outdoorsy lifestyles attract hardworking professionals and businesses that are ready to hustle. But the state’s astronomical housing prices and high living costs often kill the dream.
The top reasons people move out include jobs (41%), followed by family issues (25%) and retirement (22%). This is followed by safety concerns due to the record high homicides in 6 of CA largest cities and penalty reduction legislation that has sent property crimes through the roof .
Having half the nation’s homeless moving here for the freebees doesn’t help matters either. Bums and junkies are taking over large swaths of the big cities and the damage they cause results in major blight and clean up costs.
When combined, CA taxes rank highest in the nation and that is also contributing to a severe economic downturn. The rising energy costs, thanks to wildland fires and the nation’s highest pump prices, are another major factor why people are fleeing this state in record numbers.
“Unlike a few decades ago, retirees are leaving California, instead choosing other states in the Pacific West and Mountain West,” Michael Stoll, public policy economist at the University of California, Los Angeles, told United Van Lines.
If the current decline continues unabated CA will be the first state to destroyed both socially and economically. A CNBC study ranks California last in the nation for business friendliness and 49th out of the 50 states for cost of living.
Major Issues facing Californians include, but are not limited to:
- Highest pump prices in the nation due to state imposed taxes.
- California’s combined state taxation, from income to property tax, are now tied with New York’s, their total tax are the highest in the nation.
- Grades 1 through 12 spending is at an all time high, yet test scores are failing across the state. CA ranks 49th and 47th in science and math.
- Sentence reduction reform for property crime have resulted in a surge of property crimes.
- Rising costs of illegal immigration and the general costs associated with sanctuary cities have had a significant impact on municipal governments.
- 3 of the top 10 worst cities for homicide are now found in CA.
- It is estimated that about 50% of nation’s homeless have recently migrated to CA causing blight. Hundreds of millions of tax dollars are being diverted to programs for the poor, mentally ill and those with severe addiction problems. To date, all that spending has had little or no impact on reducing the homeless problems, if anything it has only gotten worse.
- Rising insurance rates.
- Wild land fires and lack of surface water storage.
- CA has a one party government controlled by progressive democrats and that has resulted in millions of voters with heavy taxation but having no representation.