On-scene British reporters say Chinese markets again selling bats, likely source of deadly pandemic. By Rowan Scarborough – The Washington Times – Monday, March 30, 2020
- China is permitting wild animal markets to resume selling bats, believed to be the source for the deadly coronavirus now killing people across the globe, including over 2,500 Americans to date, British reporters say. Chinese authorities in January closed down the Wuhan city “wet” market after five of its workers were among the first diagnosed with what would become COVID-19. A number of scientists say it is likely that bats either infected other market animals or humans directly. Bats carry a variety of coronaviruses and are blamed on for the 2002 SARS coronavirus epidemic that also originated in a Chinese market.
- The British Daily Mail newspaper reported on Saturday that, “Will they ever learn? Chinese markets are still selling bats and slaughtering rabbits on blood-soaked floors as Beijing celebrates ‘victory’ over coronavirus.”
- The Kennedy Center received a grant of 25M because of the quarantine and then the CEO fired the musicians.
- Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo-D closed the state border to New Yorkers and orders a strict quarantine of 14 days for those persons allowed in. Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine. “Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.” Raimondo’s order is likely to be challenged as un-constitutional.
- CA- COVID’s infections are climbing, 6447 known cases, mostly in bay area and Los Angeles and deaths are 133. Nationally there are 153,246 known cases and 2828 deaths.